SD-WAN technology simplifies networks as well as reduces cost. It delivers operational and performance advantages and big cost savings as compared to the conventional WAN system. The right WAN can enhance network management; reduce time and improve the agility of your business.
Software Defined WAN is one of the eminent networking solutions available today. It is an advanced version of WAN.
It is an innovation to facilitate application delivery, speed up application performance and unify network connectivity—often over hybrid WAN, LAN/WLAN, and cloud networks.
This brief guide will help you understand SD-WAN better; especially if you are new to this technology.
What is SD-WAN?
SD-WAN stands for the Software-Defined Wide Area Network.
It is a VIRTUAL wan architecture that lets organizations capitalize on any combination of transport services composed of MPLS, LTE and broadband internet services. By using a combination of these transport services, it lets you access the applications securely.
SD-WAN utilizes a centralized control function to smartly deliver traffic across the WAN. It leads to improved application performance which in turn enhances user experience and minimizes IT costs as well.
How SD-WAN Technology is better than Traditional WAN?
Traditional WANs work over conventional routers. They are not cloud-friendly. They generally need backhauling all traffic—even that meant to the cloud—from multiple locations to a hub or main data center where security inspection is done. It often causes delays, hindering user experience and productivity as well.
SD-WAN technology, on the other hand, supports applications hosted in on-premises data centers, clouds and SaaS, Office 365, Dropbox.
How Does SD-WAN Technology Work?
This technology connects end users to virtually any application, regardless of location like public cloud or data center, using the best available transport service (e.g., MPLS, broadband, cellular and satellite internet link. This technology often uses a control function that continuously assesses traffic flows across the WAN and smartly direct traffic.
What are the Benefits of SD-WAN?
- SD-WAN minimizes operating expenses by switching from expensive MPLS lines to broadband like cable, DSL, mobile broadband and fiber.
- It lets you add new lines to the sites, thereby lowering the bottlenecks and delaying what is common in traditional WANs.
- This technology is composed of multiple links from various ISPs, meaning other links would work if one fails.
- SD-WAN lets you smartly assign key applications to various links, including internal lines as well as Internet connections. This way, you can assign the right resources in each scenario to increase performance and productivity while reducing costs.
- Since IT is a digital tool, it is easy and quick to configure this technology to your current infrastructure. You don’t require sending the IT team to your site to configure it.
- Last but not least—SD-WAN costs you nearly 1/3rd of the cost of using MPLS.
How Software Defined WAN Helps in Network Tracking?
SD-WAN technology lets you view what’s going on in the network, including online and registered appliances. It lets you monitor network events, site and tunnel status, report-based usages, availability of data on your overall network, application, servers, specific sites, and users.
SD-WAN is an intelligent and flexible network technology. It facilitates the network as well as minimizes downtime, bottlenecks, and expenditures. Given it is an advanced version of WAN, more organizations should opt for it to pace up with the digital transformation as well as the use of modern, cloud-based applications and technologies to empower their operations.
Make sure to assess your current network requirements and issues while considering SD-WAN.
At Cynexlink, we offer SD-WAN services in Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County and other parts of Southern California. Our service will simplify the control of application-driven infrastructure to improve connectivity, reliability, agility, and performance.Read more